Monday 4 November 2019

Never run alone!



Never run alone! 



When entering an 80 km race, you know you are going to be out there in the trail for a while. During that time, your mind will take you to places you have not explored before.

That is one of the reasons people take on such a challenge. Running becomes your spiritual guru.


One striking difference between the road races and ultras is that there is no shoulder-to-shoulder running for most parts of the ultra.


So here is something I have for you. For the Malnad ultra (80km category), I was by myself for probably all but the first 5k of the race. Runners went ahead, left behind right from the 5k mark when we entered the trails and after 1 km all disappeared into the thick jungle.


For the rest of the 12-13-hour race, I saw few souls again in that tropical forest and vast coffee gardens. Literally Just complete loneliness...


That is the moment when you get to be with your thoughts and internal chatter.


Our thoughts create our reality. When you feel good, you see the beauty of it all, the environment, the volunteers, the wilderness of nature.


And let me tell you that, this is the most difficult ultra I have ever run. Such extreme conditions, the never-ending elevations, Mud, slushy trail, leech bites & smashed legs. When you feel bad, you go to some really dark places in your mind.


During the course of the day, I had moments of immense gratitude and times of doubt. That is the pendulum of thoughts. However, I never felt alone.


Even though I was by myself, whenever I felt lonely or when negative, unhelpful thoughts occurred I had a trick up my sleeve.


'Dedicate Your Miles' was my strategy. It helps you to catch yourself going in a downward spiral of thoughts. What I did was whenever I felt troubled by my thoughts, I dedicated the section that I was on to a person that I have a connection.


There is of course, first and foremost my family. But you can extend it to family and friends, basically whoever you feel a connection with.


So even though I was by myself for the entirety of the race, I ran together with few guys Rajesh who was doing 110 KM category, met Sujith who was attempting his first 50 km + category, Sandeep and Rahul few others in a few sections, and segments.


Let me name the people to whom I dedicated the miles.


I ran with Prashant Hegde and Mahesh who were supposed to run New York Marathon this Sunday and their enthusiasm is contagious. And as I write this they are running this world Major!

I ran with Naghma, thinking of "All the miles I ran with her from past these many months over the weekend, which I love to do, I am sure she knows it ;)".
I ran with Movin, who is attempting a Half in Mumbai, trust me I had to convince him a lot for this :P
I ran with Sapna, who ran a great race in Bengaluru Marathon against all odds!
I ran with Jai Thomas who supports and encourages my passion for this beautiful sport called Running.
I ran with Smita, who ran a great Berlin race just a month ago and is a gem of a person.
I ran with Sushant and Arun. The Hegde trio including Prashant.
I ran with Subodh, who never ceases to inspire me.
I ran with Ravanan, who always stays positive and inspires others to do the same.
I ran with Nirupama, her never-give-up attitude inspires me always. 
I ran with Bhaskar, my childhood friend, Are we not like two volumes of one book?
I ran with Rajesh & Navaneeth who were running the 110 km category and I was rooting for them and honestly, they are the reason I didn't give up.  I ran with Shriram Bhai, Mark, Rajkumar, Shripad, Sandhya, Juri, Neelanjana, Gerald (my mentor and guru in running), Salim Bhai, Supriya, and many more.

Dedicating your miles made it feel like it was a celebratory reunion and an instant boost of morale away from negative chatter.


Reaching the finish line was a big achievement for me as it felt like I've started to get the hang of this ultra-thing. This was my 2nd 70+km run and although I know I can do better still, I feel that I am on the right track (or trail).


In the end, I conquered my physical pain over my mind and finished this grueling race of 80 km.





Here is the picture of the hard-earned Medal of 80 km category (It is a buckle)




Trail lonely trail. 



After finishing the race 


The trails
Small lake somewhere amidst the forest

Ridges 

Trail across the coffee estates

31 comments:

  1. Lovely read ASIF, it takes courage, grit and bravery for doing what u did..makes me immensely proud of you once more.. I know you must have felt how much is left in me to explore when even such Conditions dint deter my tenacity to inch closer to the holy grail. This is the beauty of the spirit. The human potential. On a strange note i wud like to share that u did sharing miles on a tuff route but i do that in ngv every time i do my long run. Sharing miles in my head with u, rakesh, kids and mom..
    Thanks for sharing such a beautiful piece. I am proud of you. congrates and pls put ur feet up for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sapna for reading and appreciating my feelings.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Asif you are a legend in your own right. Run safe and continue inspiring fellow human beings from all walks of life. It was a privilege watching you finish Berlin Major in style recently. Delighted that our paths crossed and to be your friend Asif.

    ps: too many typos in previous posts 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks badey bhai. I am so lucky that you witnessed me finishing the race in Berlin. I am so glad you could do NYC Marathon . Somewhere I feel that my dedication on trails worked on a road race just next day.. :)

      Delete
  4. Asif, so beautifully written and truly from the heart.... You are genuine and so is your love for the sport. Truly an inspiration for me, love you forever. Smita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each time I meet you Smita . I get to learn something new about life . Keep smiling and miling.

      Delete
  5. So true asif ....you are a inspiring runner and ran outstanding the other day. The route was challenging and i io much agree we cannot run alone in ultras. I ran with many people the that day...first 30 with lakshendra and then 20 with Shilpa then opendro and Deepak and the last 20 k with navneeth. It was so much fun talking to these people on the way.

    There is nothing like a good runners company to enjoy and cherish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shikha. Who knows better than you my feeling on that trail. Kudos to you on successfully finishing that gruelling 80 K . I have always been a big fan of you .. :)

      Delete
  6. Well said. Will dedicate my miles too.. thanks for sharing your thoughts and yes ..you are on the right trail ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jnan da. You are an inspiration to many. Will see you on trail next year in Mawkyrwat.

      Delete
  7. Nicely written Asif, it was a pleasure running with you, I like this dedicating miles idea, will copy it in my next ultra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice knowing you Sandip on the trail. Thanks for giving me the torch , it was a life saviour. God bless you. A run is due with you :)

      Delete
  8. This is a great post with so much depth. There's so much more than just running. I wondered how to managed to get the motivation to complete this tough run, now I know what you did. And, I am super delighted to see my name in there. Privileged to know that I am in that list too. Many many congratulations once again. You should be super proud of your achievement. It is no mean feat! Not many people will reach there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neel. After Khardungla's blog , if a run that has extracted some emotions out of me was this Malnad ultra. it literally squeeze out every single drop of juice in me . I admire your passion for hiking and trekking and the writing you do such minute details. You definitely deserved to be part of a segment and will always be remembered in future runs as well. :)

      Delete
  9. Yaaasif!!! I have always been in awe of your persona, not just as a runner but as a friend and as someone I look up to. The sincerity of your dedication towards this sport is inspiring and the honesty with which you tell your tales is touching. I can't wait to hear more from you when we meet. Keep flourishing and keep inspiring 🏃‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Supriya. Feeling is mutual. I am an admirer of your personality and lucky to meet a soul like you through our mutual running connections :) God bless you..

      Delete
  10. It's wonderful knowing a humble individual like you who continues to stay humble despite achieving this ('Monster of a run' as I fondly like to call it) and many other feats! It's not everyday one comes across folks who are always grounded, speak from the heart and are ready to share their success with others!
    Thank you for dedicating the miles and congratulations all over again. Am sure the terrains of Malnad held the key that made you unlock something new about yourself.

    PS : This can totally be your new anthem - 🎶 'You'll Never Run Alone'. 🎶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naghma for giving me a company on trails . The segment you were part of was the toughest nut to crack.. tough as hell.. ;)

      Delete
  11. Hey Asif , good write up..The way you are depicting the entire 80km race, I can visualised you, the trail and the silent jungle around you...Hope you reach a great height in your passion for running...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farha, you know my love for mountains and nature and yes maybe one day we will take selfie 🤳 ;)

      Delete
  12. Asif Bhai ur an inspiration.
    Keep up the good work.
    I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kasif bhai. We all inspire each other in some way.. :)

      Delete
  13. Nice reading. Another challenge overcome. Many more runs to be run. Keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful to read about beautiful journeys, infact I'm contemplating of doing something like this after the post of yours to read my own dark corners, it definitely changes the person inside you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Komal, I recommend you do a trail ultra once.

      Delete
  15. so nicely uncovered and written secrets of long distance running...yes you are right we never run alone and we are blessed that we have family and friends who are with us, not always arm to arm but in our hearts and heads... and it is beautiful in races like Malnad Ultra in the joungle when you don't know where are other participants, just after corner currently hide in green or you can run and run and totally nobody is behind you or in a front of you... this amazing loneliness Long Distance Runner...and I think it is one of the main reason why people decide to participate in such competitions and they love it and they will back again... Congratulations once again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot , you are a much experienced ultra runner than me. You would totally relate to my feelings.

      Delete
  16. Sahi hain Bhai. Proud of you. Wishing you many more adventurous miles. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading It Rupert. God bless you too.

      Delete

WHY I RUN?

WHY I RUN? In the trails of Palani hills. I am a runner. I have pushed myself across thousands of miles looking for answers that only make s...