Tuesday 16 February 2021

Perspective


 perspective 

 


As mum had to be admitted at the heights of the lockdown during the Covid-19 Pandemic, that week in intensive care was a bit of a rollercoaster ride, with doctors and nurses needing to keep a close eye on her vitals, and her life was under the support of BiPAP (Non-invasive ventilation), meanwhile, her Covid-19 test result was awaited, a Positive result in the covid test could have opened another Pandora box. 


The oxygen level reached worrying lows, thanks to those God's sent nurses, who would let me see her through video calls, My worry about mum stripped everything else away.


I didn't care about any urgent emails or the calls, I hadn't gotten back to. I didn't have the temptation to check anything which was a periodic task until she was admitted. Even the world news seemed so irrelevant when you are sitting outside the door of an intensive care unit hearing the wails of grief and those ICUs are full of activity and its disturbing noises of equipment beeping, the commotion of nurses and doctors inside the intensive care, raised my heartbeat. 


Intensive care units are bleak places, sometimes, but those sterile rooms full of health care people alight between life and death can be also hopeful ones. The nurses and doctors were my inspiration in the time of darkness. 


The ignominy of this event, I suppose that it takes us such a major event in our lives or the people we love, for perspective to arrive. invariably we take things for granted. I imagined that I could keep hold of this perspective, I would always keep my priorities right, even during good and happy times. I imagined if we could always think of our loved ones the way we think of them when they are in a critical condition. If we always keep the love for them, Love that is always there... So close to the surface, I imagined the love of life and gratitude towards life. 



Well, I am trying now, when my life gets too jam-packed with redundant and stressful junk. I remember that room in the hospital. Where mum was thankful to have a view out of the window or a momentary video call,  I was giving her assurance, everything will be alright mum, you will be fine. 



1 comment:

  1. I remember that time. It was stressful indeed for you. Thank God that aunty got back fine and is doing well. We do tend to take our loved ones for granted giving more importance to things like work, which don't matter in the larger perspective of life.

    ReplyDelete

WHY I RUN?

WHY I RUN? In the trails of Palani hills. I am a runner. I have pushed myself across thousands of miles looking for answers that only make s...